Monday, March 14, 2011

Honduran Loves

I know I'm a little late, but I wanted to join in on the Portrait Party over at Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures. While these are not portraits taken specifically for this project (seeing as I'm sick and not in Honduras) these are some of the photos I'm most proud of. They were taken back in '08 while we were on a mission trip in Honduras. These kids still have my heart (along with my 500 students . . . guess I've got a big heart?) and they were easy subjects to photograph. Great lighting (hello Honduras!) and great subjects allow even the least gifted of photographers to get great pictures!

Precious girls with lots of personality.
 

If I hadn't been in college, I probably would have taken Kingler home with me.
She is as sweet as she is gorgeous! I used my camera to make this picture sepia.
I like that the background was overexposed, as it brings more attention to her gorgous face!
 

Some may not like the way I cropped this one, but it's one of my favorites from the whole trip.
 

This picture completely represents Lucito, the only boy in an all girl's orphanage.
He is the defintion of a ham (probably from getting lots of attention). I love this guy . . .
  I am most happy with the personality I was able to capture in these shots. I literally took hundreds of pictures, and that's what I learned from shooting here. Take lots and lots of shots, because in the end, you can't ever completely recreate the environment or the feeling in that moment -- and that's what makes for a good portrait!

So I'm linking up (never done this before!) with the Portrait Party!

5 comments:

  1. My brother just got home from a 2-year mission to Honduras. I love the pictures he brought back and the stories he tells of the amazing people there! I love how you have caught such great moments on camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I liked the outfit A LOT when I left that morning, but through a day of messing with the scarf I had to get rid of it by afternoon. I won't let you buy it as each of those are among my favorite pieces in my closet . . . but I understand your offer. As we now know, one of the best ways to get great clothes is to buy them from a friend who's not sure she's made a great purchase! Hah!

    Also, these pictures are fabulous. Totally gorgeous. Especially that one with the two boys - I couldn't imagine a better way to frame it. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Another thing. Are you interested in a small clothing swap? When I come up for Encore, I am thinking I will bring some clothes I've purged to try to sell at Ditto in KC . . . but if you want to take a look beforehand, I'd be happy to give them away. Especially if you have anything you're interested in parting with that you think I might like! : P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed these photos. Kingler is gorgeous. I am so glad you linked up and share some really special portraits. Cropping is my best friend and I think you cropped those boys perfectly.

    ReplyDelete