Thursday, June 16, 2011

Help! I need somebody. . .

. . . 's opinion. We're having our hardwood floors refinished next week, but we are at a loss as to which color to chose. We know we want dark, but that's all we know! 


1: Spice Brown; 2: Dark Walnut; 3: Coffee Brown; 4: Medium Brown; 5: English Chestnut
Jordan doesn't really see a difference between most of them, so he's left the choice to me (though he prefers the Spice Brown). I'm leaning towards the Spice Brown or English Chestnut (1 & 5). Originally I was in love with the Dark Walnut, because it looks vintage and old, but now that's the reason I don't like it. We're not old, and the house isn't vintage enough to warrant a cool antique looking stain. I think. I like the Spice Brown because of how well it goes with the furniture, but that's also the reason I'm leaning away from it. Matchy-matchy is not my thing. The English Chestnut coordinates with the furniture and the light oak cabinets and it isn't too dark, so I have no fear of my house turning into a cave, (my concern with the Spice Brown). I just can't decide!

So tell me what you think, especially between the Spice Brown and English Chestnut.

7 comments:

  1. I say 5. I like it because its not as dark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think the last one is definitely best because such dark colors will make every room feel much darker, and will be a big shock (I think) against all your light-colored wall colors. Also, I think the last one is prettiest. Spice brown would have to be my least favorite, haha! There's just less honey in it or something.

    Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 or 2 - but really, they all will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My older sister chose number 2 and said, "I feel like really dark wood floors look really nice."

    So there you go. : P

    (I don't know if that is helpful to share because you get a balanced opinion, or annoying because it's the opposite of my first choice. But I thought you might like another viewpoint. : P )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read all of it before I thought to myself, "numbers 1 or 5." :) Since I am your official decision-maker (remember your kitchen walls? Yes you dooooo) I'd say go with whichever has the least red (but no grey; which is what I see in #2) in it -- it will compete less with the other wood in the house and ensure the rooms stay neutral, allowing your furniture and accents to stand out. From my screen, that looks like #1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey friend, It looks in the picture like 1 and 2 are more pure brown. The others look like they have a bit of a rosy color in them. But once you get a whole room of one of these, it will look darker than you are expecting, at least at first. If you are putting these in rooms with lots of sunlight, the color will fade a bit over time. Something to keep in mind. Bria and I like #3, because it seems like the happy medium of extremes on both sides. I mean.... it is "coffee" afterall. :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete