Sunday, September 11, 2011

For a day like today

It seems so strange that it's been only ten years. I remember walking to Mr. Fahrmeir's history class, passing through the library and seeing those images on the TV, thinking the librarians were watching a movie. In class I discovered it was not fiction, but real hatred played out in its worst form. It feels like a lifetime ago, not a mere ten years. I have no real memory of a world without "terrorists" and "orange alerts" and security at airports and "wars on terror"; it's amazing to think that this much has changed in ten years.

Jordan and I missed class at church this morning because we were riveted to the TV, watching the replay of events from that morning, living it like it was happening all over again. We couldn't turn our eyes away, feeling the emotions as if it was the first time, not the tenth. Strange to think that even ten years later those images still produce the same raw emotion as the first time.

As soon as I reflect on September 11, I can't help but remember September 12 and all the flags lining the streets. I remember the unity and the courage our country showed in the face of such tragedy. (There is, of course, the tragedies our own ugliness created in the weeks after, and the bigotry and racism that still persists. That is an unfortunate scar that makes the wound even uglier.) But, even in the face of that, we still joined together in support of the survivors and their families and the first-responders, rightfully calling them heroes. Never in my life have I felt so connected to strangers; I've not felt that exact same way since. For a moment we were truly united.


I will never forget this awful time,
as I grieve over my loss.
Yet I still dare to hope
when I remember this:

The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
His mercies never cease.
Great is his faithfulness;
his mercies begin afresh each morning.
 
For no one is abandoned by the Lord forever.
Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion
because of the greatness of his unfailing love.
For he does not enjoy hurting people
or causing them sorrow.
Lamentations 3:20-23, 31-33, NLT

There is hope in the midst of suffering for those who love Him. Because of His love, we have hope that no matter what we bring into this world through our ugliness and bitterness and hatred, His compassion can still cover us. His mercies are new every morning, with faithfulness and compassion and Love that knows no bounds. It is a choice to pursue this hope, both as a human and as a believer.

I choose to pursue this hope because I know there will be days like today.

But, praise God, my hope brings Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment