Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The post in which I get politcal.

Seeing as we're in the middle of the snowpocalypse here in the midwest, I thought it would be a good time to post. And, since I finished editing the video my fantastic students made about why they need music in their school, I've been thinking a lot about their education and my role in it. I'm sending it to all of our legislators, and would happily send it to you (if I haven't already. I'm really proud of them).

Let me just start by sharing this link to a blog post our superintendent posted about these issues. I highly respect her and fully believe that she wants only the best for our students, whatever the cost. She wrote much more eloquently and passionately than I can, so you could spare yourself the pain of reading this and just check there. Then, call or email your legislator and help them understand the importance of public education.

Our dear KS Governor is charging his new Congress with the task of determining how much funding is necessary to provide the constitutionally mandated "suitable" education to its children. (I'm going to avoid posting about the hundreds of reasons why I didn't vote for Brownback. At least his opponent vowed not to cut any more funding from our already strapped public schools because he realized the importance of education.) The district I teach in is already operating on a budget that we haven't seen since the '90's. Many of the economically advantaged communities are facing the same budget issues in their districts. If the state continues to cut funding, parents in those districts at least have the know-how and resources to make-up for the opportunities that schools can't provide. The majority of my students' parents do not. Last year, music, sports, and SPED supports were on the chopping block because of perceived cuts to funding. We didn't have to go that far, luckily, but how many more cuts can we sustain before we do?

Research proves the necessity of enrichment activities for students in high poverty environments to be proficient. Research also shows that, if we want continued success in urban schools, we cannot cut the arts, as it actually results in a decrease in levels of achievement. But, the cuts still have to come from somewhere. Unlike many districts, my district took the cuts at the administrative level first. They took every recourse possible to keep the cuts from affecting the general classroom. (However, my budget is down to $100) We're out of options. I'm scared for our students future if the cuts continue.

I don't know what the solution is, or where the money should come from. I realize public schooling takes a large percentage of a State's budget, but I also don't understand why that's such a problem. Shouldn't we do all that we can to educate all students? Isn't education the most important gift we can give to a child?

Maybe my understanding of the importance of education comes from my parents, both first generation college-grads. They view their education, given in God's grace, as the reason for their success, and rightfully so. And they made sure we knew it, too.

Whatever the case, I know God is in control and that He alone can bring this to rightful close. I do know, however, that as His steward, I am charged with seeking justice (Isaiah 1:17), and this is why I felt it necessary to say my little piece. I'll send my little video and do my part because of the Love that compels me to speak out for my students.

1 comment:

  1. Re: "Isn't education the most important gift we can give to a child?"
    No. It isn't. Education is the most important thing we can give to a person, and thus to a community, and therefore to our world.
    Right on, crusader.

    ReplyDelete